UPDATED August 24th, 2012
Special Notice: There will be NO PARKING at the Deer Valley Silver Lake Lodge (upper Deer Valley). We have worked with Deer Valley to have Silver Lake Express lift running and will offer each racer 2 FREE lift tickets to give to friends/family. Please notify everyone to park at the Snow Park Lodge (lower Deer Valley) and ride Silver Lake Express lift to Silver Lake. This should be a very fun experience for everyone, the lift passes over some of the course and gives many more opportunities to spectate the event. THANK YOU.
1. COURSE: Course information is located under “The Race” tab on this site > find GPS maps there.
2. PACKET PICK-UP/RACER MEETING FRIDAY August 31st, 2012: Packet pick-up will be in the Forum at The Canyons from 3:00PM – 7:00PM on Friday, August 31st. If you are racing, YOU MUST SHOW UP TO PICK UP YOUR NUMBER PLATE AND TO SIGN WAIVERS (your wife, your brother or your Mother, can’t sign the waiver for you – so please don’t ask). We WILL NOT be doing any packet pickup on race day morning – sorry, it just is not logistically possible for us (and yes, we know other races do AM pick up, but we do not).
Weather Clause > The event is non-refundable. If the scheduled Saturday of Labor Day weekend ever forces a cancellation, the plan will be to run the race on Sunday of Labor Day weekend (as long as conditions permit). Additionally, the race director has the ability to end the race at Silver Lake in Deer Valley, or at Park City Mountain Resort, cutting sections of course as needed if racers are in danger. Please be aware, we can’t predict or control the weather, we will do everything in our power to complete the race (but your safety is very important to us), your ENTRY IS NON REFUNDABLE. Thanks for your understanding!
Racer Meeting will start at approximately 6:30PM > in the forum at the Canyons. It is recommended (but of course, we can’t make you do anything), so you should attend – we will probably give some stuff away to attending racers, and most importantly, you’ll know what is going on race day!
NOTE: The People Mover Lift from the lower parking lot (by 7-11) will NOT be running Friday night, park in the Sun Dial Lodge Gravel Lot – just south of The Canyons Forum (We will put up signs to get you there).
3. Good stuff always, every racers gets a 24 oz Liberty Bottlesworks “Can You Do It?” bottle. Of course there are other benefits, wheel across the finish line and you’ll be sporting the “I did it” Smartwool Beanie. Stick around after the race and enjoy free music from The Wood Brothers, and you’ll probably win something with your racer-raffle ticket. We also feed you….Grill Items, Chips, Cookie, and your choice of a Beer or Vitamin Water.
There are a limited number of 2012 Custom PCP2P Jerseys, available online. Whatever is left will be available on Friday at the number/packet pickup.
4. THE PCP2P “I’M SOMEBODY” EVENT > Presented by Scott Sports and Inspired by the character from the movie The Jerk, Navin R. Johnson was elated to finally see his name in the phone-book and declared, “I’m somebody.” I noticed that you typically see the same fast folks winning stuff because they take top-spots at all the races. Well, this program is designed for those of us that typically finish out of the top 10! We will draw a number between 41 and 350, and these numbers represent finishing places on Saturday. Lets say the number drawn is 191 and you are the 191st person to cross the finish line, you are going to win a Scott bike – CX Comp, you get to order your size!
Due to the ever-changing standings as we suss through DQ’s and getting to a final “official” results list (sometimes not until late the following week after the P2P), the “I’m Somebody” award is given to the person that wheels across the finish line as the XXth racer (whatever number is drawn on Friday night). We are well aware of the fact that the racer associated with the number will change during the week following the event, but we feel the approach we’ve taken gives us the random finisher selection we need to award the bike and to properly expose our Sponsor during the event (we want to announce the winner on Saturday). The only way the winner would change from the finisher position on Saturday would be if they were Disqualified from the race for some reason.
5. LODGING: If you’ve not found a place to stay in Park City, Please check out the deals being offered by some of our lodging partners on our lodging page.
RACE DAY INFO
1. START VENUE INFORMATION: Important, please read: You may not leave your car parked at the trailhead/start zone all day on race day.
These are your options:
A. You can have someone drop you off that will watch the start and then leave (PLEASE – NO LEAVING VEHICLES AT THE QUINN’S COMPLEX DURING THE RACE). Let your significant other know they can stay to watch as racers come back through the start area about 45 minutes after the start of the event. We need to start clearing the Quinn’s Junction start area around 9AM.
B. You can park at the Canyons and then ride your trusty steed t0 Quinn’s Junction Start Area. The route is mostly flat and there is a paved trial if you’d like. It is 7 miles > Google Map Directions Here
C. The last option is to leave your car in the Park City Municipal Overflow lot (located here > Google Maps) It is just East of the start venue, your car can stay here all day (and night if you’d like). It is about 2 miles if you use the rail trail to ride over to the start area on your bike.
Did I mention that you Can’t Leave a Car at the Quinn’s Junction Parking Lot all day? It will be towed at your expense.
2. RACER BAG SHUTTLE: We will provide a service to shuttle racer bags to the 1st (Silver Lake at Deer Valley) Support zone (mile 28) and the 2nd (Bottom of Park City Mountain Resort) support zone (mile 56). The bag/cooler must be no wider than 20″ please and SOFT SIDE AND BAGS only please. You will drop your bag(s) off at the start area before 6:30AM – - – All bags will be available for pick-up at the finish line (The Canyons).
3. RACE START TIME: Race will start at 7:00AM on Sept. 1, 2012. The Start is located at the Quinn’s Junction Sports Complex on HWY 248 (coming into Park City from East off of HWY 40). Parking is limited in the morning and you CAN’T leave a car at the start zone.
Directions from Salt Lake City
1. Take I-80 East towards Park City
2. Take Exit 146 to merge onto US-189 S/US 40 S towards Heber/Vernal
3. Take exit 4 towards Park City
4. Merge onto UT-248 5. Take your first right into the Quinn’s complex
4. STARTING STRUCTURE: The 2011 PCP2P will be a “mass start” of sorts. The event is chip timed, so you don’t need to be in front to have an accurate time. There will be four clusters spaced one minute apart from one another. Where you start is up to you, don’t be a poser, race in the group you feel you’ll most likely finish in.
- 7 – 8 Hour Finish Time Goal: These are the fast people
- 8 – 9 Hour Finish Time Goal:
- 9 – 10 Hour Finish Time Goal:
- 10 +
5. PCP2P OFFICIAL FEED/AIDE ZONES: There will be 3 feed zones and an H20 only station
- Deer Valley @ Silver Lake Lodge: You’ll access this station at about 28 miles.
- H20 station – don’t blow by this without topping off your water, you will regret it.
- Bottom of Park City Mountain Resort (Very Northern end of lower parking lot by First Time lift) Mile 56.
- On the Mid-Mountain trail just when you really, really need it! This will have minimum supplies (Drink, GU, Chews, Coke and a few snacks). This comes at mile 67.
The feed zones are not neutral – meaning racers are not required to stop, if you spend 5 minutes at the feed zone and the guy behind you rides on – you’ll drop 5 minutes to him.
Additionally, these are fill-and-go support stations (meaning, we are providing the beverages to fill your bottles and hydration packs). At most stations we have a lot of volunteers and they are happy to help you fill up.
6. PUBLIC HAND-UPS/SUPPORT: there are three locations where this can happen.
1. Snow Park Lodge (Lower Deer Valley) > this well be at the bottom of Silver Lake Express (which will be operating for our spectators to get to Silver Lake). NOTE: There will be no PCP2P support happening here.
2. Silver Lake Lodge (Upper Deer Valley) > this will be located at the top of Silver Lake Express. ALL PUBLIC SUPPORT MUST BE DONE WITHING THE ZONE WE MARK OFF – IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE DO NOT IMPEDE ON DEER VALLEY’S PAYING LIFT-SERVE MOUNTAIN BIKERS. Each racer will receive 2 lift tickets for a FREE round trip ride up to Silver Lake (THERE IS NO PARKING AT SILVER LAKE THIS YEAR FOR THE PCP2P EVENT).
3. Park City Mountain Resort (bottom of First Time Lift) > Again, please have your support crew use caution and stay clear of the racers getting to and from the PCP2P Support Zone. There will be an area designated for private support.
1. GU Gels (Regular and Roctane)
2. HoneyStinger Chews
3. Honey Stinger Waffles
C. Assorted Real Food: Bananas, Oranges, Little Debbie’s, PB & J’s, assorted cookies, and Potato Chips.
If we don’t have what you like, you’ll need to carry your grub, or arrange for personal support at the feed stations. We’ve tried to supply some variety, I’m certain we will not please everyone, and we do apologize for that.
8. CUT-OFF TIME: We hate to do this, but for the safety of the racers (you) and protecting the event, we need to set a cut-off time just prior to the long and very hard to access (in case of emergency) section of Mid-Mountain Trail. So racers not making it to the second aide/feed zone (Park City Mountain Resort) by 3:30PM (that gives you 8.5 hours to ride 56 miles) will be asked to forfeit their number plate to the race officials. Of course we can’t make you NOT finish the event > so if you’d like to continue on your own, we will have a release for you to sign and you can then continue on the finish (your result will be listed as a DNF).
- Please, no headphones
- Our support stations are fill-and-go, if you looking to beat Alex Grant this year and can’t wait, you better find someone to support you at the stations.
- Be cool to the volunteers
- BE KIND TO THE OTHER TRAIL USERS IN PARK CITY, just because you paid $150 to race doesn’t give you a license to be a douche out on our trails – these trails are for everyone and this IS NOT A CLOSED Course. This race has been granted permission to exist, it can be taken away and we don’t want that.
> FINISH LINE FOOD: BBQ sandwich and a cold drink (Beer or Vitamin Water) at the finish, you will get a ticket at the finish. If you DNF somewhere along the line during the race, it is your responsibility to check in at the finish and get your BBQ ticket.
3. OPEN CLASS $14,000 PAYOUT: The guaranteed cash payout to the open classes will be $14,000 for 2012 (thanks to our sponsors Scott Sports, Coke, Mark Miller Subaru, Smartwool and Liberty Bottleworks) and will payout 5 deep.
1st – $2,000 | 2nd – $1,500 | 3rd – $1,000 | 4th – $800 | 5th – $700
Winner of each age group category takes home $275
4. RACER RAFFLE: We will hold our racers raffle at the finish of the event. Along with your BBQ ticket, you will receive a Racer Raffle ticket (different than the public Opp-Drawing, which you can purchase tickets for if you’d like). The racer raffle will be held at the PCP2P finish line, we will do a drawing during our 4:30 Award Ceremony and During our 5:45 Award Ceremony, along with a small one for the last finishers at 8:00. Don’t miss it, seriously – Ergon, Hydrapak, A pair of RAMP skis, day passes to the Canyons/Park City/Deer Valley, Club Ride, Helly Hansen, and much, much more.
5. PUBLIC OPPORTUNITY DRAWING TO BENEFIT THE PC HIGH SCHOOL MTB TEAM: Tell all your friends and family! To show our support of the Park City Community, we will be holding an Opportunity Drawing at the finish line of the PCP2P in the forum at The Canyons Resort. All Proceeds will go directly to the Park City High School Mountain Bike Team. We will be selling tickets the week prior to the event and all day at the finish area. You Do Not Need To Be Present to Win.
Raffle Ticket Cost: $5 each or 5 for $20 (the odds are high because we will only sell tickets the day of the event)
Grand Prize: Scott Bike
Additional Prizes: RAMP Snowboard, Season Pass at Canyons, and a Drift POV Camera.
DRAWING AT APPROXIMATELY 7:30PM FROM THE MAIN STAGE (During The Wood Brothers Show)